Keeping up with home maintenance tasks will save you money, preserve the value of your home, and prevent headaches down the line.
Though some of these things can seem like overkill, a home is often your biggest investment. It doesn’t have to feel overwhelming to keep everything in tip-top shape. Pick a certain day you do each of these things each month, and it won’t feel like a chore.
- Inspect, clean, and possibly change the furnace filter.
- Vacuum heat registers, vents, and refrigerator coils.
- Use vinegar to clean mineral deposits from faucets and showerheads.
- Check all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Clean kitchen exhaust fan filters and fan blades. Tip: Use a degreaser (buy at an auto parts store) mixed with hot water.
- Inspect dishwasher for leaks. If you find problems, search for info on YouTube or consider calling a plumber.
- Pour boiling water down drains. Tip: If clogged, add a cup of baking soda. Clean your sink disposal. Try a few ice cubes along with slices of an orange for a fresh scent, and remove the rubber top and clean with an antibacterial cleaner.
- Inspect all fire extinguishers to make sure the gauges show adequate pressure. Most extinguishers last between 5 and 15 years. It’s also a good time to review how to use them.