Let’s face it—unexpected guests can make even the most fastidious people panic a little about what they think is a messy house.
Fortunately, there are a few easy things you can do in an hour or less that will make your home appear cleaner than it really is—and we’re not talking about just throwing everything into a junk drawer or hallway closet.
- Clear the clutter: Pile books and magazines neatly on the coffee table. Put dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Straighten up kitchen countertops.
- Wipe down bathroom surfaces: Give sinks, counters, and mirrors the once-over with a cleaning rag, and spend some time making sure the toilet is free from stains and odors.
- Deodorize and vacuum: Sprinkle some baking soda over the carpet and then, after 15 minutes, vacuum.
- Take out the trash: Empty the garbage cans in both the bathroom and the kitchen.
- Add a pleasant scent: Rather than spritzing a chemical air freshener into every room, try simmering cinnamon sticks and half an orange in water. You can kill two birds with one stone in the kitchen, too: Use a halved lemon to clean chrome surfaces, then pour lemon juice in the drain and run some of the rind into the garbage disposal.