Even if you have been driving for years, it is still possible that you may have forgotten some traffic rules (maybe that makes it MORE likely!). Here’s a quick recap of some common rules we often forget:
- Going just 5 miles above the speed limit is illegal.
- If two or more cars arrive at a four-way stop at the same time, the driver to the right has the right of way.
- Stop means a complete stop, and you can get a ticket for not stopping.
- It is illegal almost everywhere to text or hold your phone behind the wheel.
- Failure to signal is against the law.
- In dry conditions, you should be a minimum of 2 seconds away from other cars — longer when it’s raining or icy.
- In some states, it is illegal to cut through a parking lot to avoid traffic.
- 34 states in the U.S. allow police officers to pull a driver over and cite them only for not using a seatbelt (no need for another violation).